Wednesday 11 July 2007

Times for Teas, cause and effect

This is a post that I have been thinking about for a while now. It is an experiment that I have been doing on what tea's work best in my Gong Fu class.
There are three teas on the table for consideration at the moment; Pu Er Cha, Tie Guan Yin and Long Jing. All of them are great teas that I can get in reasonable quantities, practically free. They are my payment for my Gong Fu Cha demonstrations at the OuZhouChaGuan.
The Pu Er Cha is a very nice 8 year old bamboo cooked Pu Er, it is a great tea and the worst thing that I have ever served in my class. Consistently makes me and students flat and unbouncie. It does well as a tea however the leaves are so not done by the end of class and it is a shame to through it out after only about 5 serves. I think that this goes to prove that Pu Er Cha is best to drink before bed or after dinner. This is how I always recommend Pu Er should be drunk and I stand by this as testimony. I noticed how this affected class quite by accident. I taught class one day and I brought along this tea and wanted to try it. I did and the tea was great! However the class was a terrible class. Students were as flat as I could imagine and I was not much better, so irritation started. It was not the best class I have taught. I put this down to a couple of things but I didn't at the time consider the tea. The next time I served this tea, I had a similar class, flat, uninspired, unresponsive, so I started to take note... The next lesson I had Tie Guan Yin, this is a partly fermented tea that I absolutely love! It was a good lesson. The tea has a little caffeine and it class hummed away like it should, was lovely. Shi hao gong fu cha. I did this for another lesson getting students to drink a cup on arrival. Again, good class, attentive students. I tried the Pu Er one more time, I had half of my students drink the tea before the class started, the other were control. I was right, the students that drank were all flat well before the end of the evening, that night I packed the PuEr into my bag and took it home to drink before bed. As I am still doing. I have since started to take note how all my teas affect the people I can monitor who drink them. I have decided that even though it is slightly more effort (in preparation and longevity of leaves), Long Jing is best. It is fairly high in caffeine as it is a green tea and it shouldn't be steeped in boiling hot water, so it is easier to manage the water side of things from that end. It doesn't last as long as Tie Guan Yin though and doesn't taste as good when it isn't quite hot anymore, which happens often as I get taught teaching. The best properties of this tea for teaching is probably the caffeine that it has for the added jumpy without the jittery that you get from things like instant replica coffee etc. I also find that after about 4 serves it looses some of its kick and becomes more mello which makes it easier to sleep afterwards as the bounce element is well used on bouncing around the class.
So my cha of choice for Gong Fu Quan is Long Jing. Feels Good, Tastes Good, Mmmm Good.
K thnx by now.

No comments: