Sunday 8 July 2007

Winterfest 3

Having just posted my first written filk song (yesterday), I thought I might explain it a little for those who weren't there. The organiser of the event is a ninjitsu (bujinkan) teacher and he had several of his students helping him. Some of whome were at times given to me to help with different tasks, I was also told there would be ninjas available somewhere when needed for what ever. Being ninjas there is a running joke in the club about jumping in and out of trees. So on my first real day of Winterfest I met the ninjas in question so I could call on them when needed.
Otherwise this day was mostly getting a few things prepared, finding things for archery targets and handing out fliers.
The second day of Winterfest was the Friday, this was spent for me getting a couple of things sorted in Paramatta, like hotel and stuff for next two days + handing out fliers... At 2pm however I was on site with hammer in hand laying out the grounds for the event. It went well, once we got methods for straight fences down... (I am from the country, there is only one type of fence, straight) Then we put up a couple of tents for different groups without their own and went home. That night I was pretty tired and had some work to do so I stayed in and made use of the mini bar in the room, was good.
The third day of Winterfest started about 8am back on site sorting areas and administration etc, went well had fun, then gates opened and I didn't have time to scratch myself from then till close. I did have to stop archery for things like birds of prey and horses as they don't mix well with arrows at times. This usually meant that I was needed for various other things though and still didn't get much of a rest, it was usually on the run from A-B.
That evening I had planned to go out. After gates were closed and money accounted for it was 8pm ish, I went to my hotel, had a long bath... That over I went out on search for dinner, I wanted Japanese and there was a tepinyaki across from the hotel but I thought I would go for a walk first and see what I would do afterwards. I found it. I first noticed the flaming entrance, then saw the projections on the side. It looked great! There was local live bands followed by DJs afterwards and it looked hot! (Will post mobile pic) But first dinner. It was great! I had sushi and stuff, followed by sake... Was good, found my way back to my room and hit the keys a little longer and then woke up! I fell asleep! Detailed plans of raging and stuff and I fell asleep! (or I had such a wild night that I can't remember it...) I did start keying on the King size bed however, I can see how the former might have happened.
The fourth day of Winterfest was Sunday morning. ( I know not a whole day but it did feel like it) This was setting up again after putting things away out of the (potential) rain. However it started badly before I even arrived on site. The night before as I had arrived home late, I forgot to pump my tyre... When I got to my car in the morning, it was not pumped up... So out I got my little foot pump and to work I set. I got 10psi into it and drove as slowly as I could to the nearest petrol station, this worked and I was back on the road... Set up happened slowly, and once I had people organized I got money sorted and once that was done the people I had organized... weren't there. So that was great! Enter coke here as comfort drink while trying to pull out hair. This seemed to fit well into the rest of this day.
The fifth day of Winterfest was from 12:30 - 5:30. This was my afternoon shift of organizing archery and other events while archery was on hold. This went ok till started youngsters comp, of 38 kiddies shooting at targets for prizes. All was well from my end at the beginning, but they were mistakenly given twice the amount of arrows and suddenly... it was going to take a very long time. So we finished after the gates had officially closed, but in the end the winner had by everyone's standards won and the runner up had done well enough to satisfy, all was well.
The last day was from 5:30 - 1am the next morning. This is me driving home after counting money, checking money and looking back a forward in time for improvements and other events. It was good but ended with a long drive and a small kip at Lake George to help me staying on the road.

If you want to see clips etc of the event keep an eye on this page www.winterfest.com.au . At the moment it hasn't changed orientation to project next years event. But it will (might be 5-6+ weeks).

No comments: