Thursday 12 April 2007

About Me.

To make myself a little more findable, I want to mention a couple of things about myself. My fuller name is Bai ShiZi. Adopted Grandson of ShiGong Bai Long Zai Xia, I am a third generation Grandson of Bai Tien Long (1930-1993) and a dedicated student of Pai Lum Kung Fu (Bai Long Gong Fu). It is through the study of this martial art that I have cultivated my interest in Chinese culture and practices. Outside gong fu these are mostly culinary based interests. I am lactose intolerant and so a Chinese diet is suitable to my body, and I value tea more than coffee or coke which are the main items on offer at my office as a mild stimulant. I also feel it aids my thought if I can sip or nibble o something palatable while work, currently sultanas... no pun intended.

I have an interested in Chinese history and partake in living history groups to better understand how things were done to do things that interest me, largely metal work and clothing how and why. I like to know how do do things from first principles. This is why I have developed a taste for both tea and single malt whiskey. Tea and whiskey are water flavoured with one plant treated in different ways to produce a unique taste that harnesses the characteristics of whence it came. In other words I like to be able to taste somewhere when I drink something from that place. More complex the place the more complex the flavour, well in theory anyhow. I like to take a simple idea like adding leaves to water for flavour and seeing how far it can go.

It is this idea that gives me a love of stratagey board games, mostly Weiqi, and variants, and Chinese Chess, regualr chess and many others. There is one of these types of games that I do love that dosen't fit this pattern, Majiang. It is my favourite game to play with friends, the only problem is that it takes a long time and requires 4 people who want to play to the end. This about covers what I do out of the office and what I do in the office is not really worth thinking about now because I am on my third last day of holidays before I get hit with the full extent of my reality again Monday morning.

No comments: