Monday 16 April 2007

Student talk.

The temptation to talk with students for hours after class is great, however the problem is that it takes hours of your time. 小马has an answer for this, make them pay for your time, this way every one wins. You get paid for you time and they value what they learn. However from where I stand, I want to reward students for asking challenging questions with informative answers. Rather than rewarding them for paying me more money with my time. I don't mind if they pay me however that circumstance would rather be a private lesson, different I think than asking questions after class, even if the result is the same amount of time. I do see her point, however I also enjoy casual discussion of my lessons and how I teach them, as it helps me grow as a teacher and a practitioner of gong fu.

The inspiration for this post is that tonight, as I do many nights I got into a discussion of techniques and origins of teachings and style history etc, with the 白兄弟. It was a good conversation and if I hadn't run away, it would have gone for a very long time after I had cut it short. The reason that I did run, was just because it was interesting, and I value my time with my partner and I get too little of it as it is so what do I value more, money from teaching or time with 小馬? Well this is answered by her a little as well, if they want to pay you that is fine, you can spend the money later on me. Not a direct quote but it would work for me. Although I can imagine what I would think of an instructor who turned on a timer for after class discussion. Something about heart in wallet...

No comments: