Tuesday 15 May 2007

星期一的课

I almost forgot to post last night's class!
I invented an interesting exercise (says me) last night.
I wanted to give my students a core body and a leg workout at the same time as do some pad work using round strikes (to aid core muscles).
This was my solution. It was a partner exercise, one partner holds a pad for an eye level strike and the other person strikes it with a round (hand) attack, then the person holding the pad drops the pad to thigh level and the attacker gets as low (leg element) as they can without bending over and does the same eye level strike with their eyes at a lower height (leg and core). Then back up to the former height (leg element again) and repeat for as many times as the attacker can in one minute.
The idea of the exercise is to keep balance while changing height, and keep strength in the strike while attacking at different levels. Both of these are hindered... aided by the cardiovascular workout you are getting over the minutes duration. It was a is also good exercise for the person holding the pad as they need to brace at different levels so it helps them if they rise and sink to the occasion!

(I think this is a good length for an exercise explanation)


I taught a couple of other pad exercises but they will not fit into a suitable length explanation.