Thursday 3 May 2007

Meeting the Surgeon 1, Dr Who???

This didn't seem like too difficult a task at first. Go there, set a date, fill out some forms, leave. This was not to be. I last posted when it was time to leave, I decided to call ahead to check if the clinic was running on time, as I have known there to be four hour waits.
I called the number on the card that I had and I was transfered to another area of the hospital, the to the reception of the surgeon who I was supposed to meet, then I was told that he didn't have an appointment with me. I said that was interesting as I had been told I had an appointment with him. The booking was made by my doctor's receptionist, surely she would be able to make an appointment, it was her job! NO. They then went into their computer to find where my appoint was, I didn't have the surgeon that I thought I had. I It turns out that she had made an appointment, it was with another surgeon in the same clinic she got one part right. She was supposed to and understood (proof of which is in the card she gave me with his name) that she was to make a booking for Dr Alexander (aka Alan, aka Al) Burns, what she did was make an appointment with Phil Alburn. Who has the same name if you slur Al Burns and don't pronounce the "s". Same thing you ask? Not when he is going to cut you open and play at removing/repairing your knee. So, due to not having received the letter of confirmation that I was supposed to get, (probably due to my house being a mail black hole) I found out 15 minutes before my appointment that I had the wrong surgeon booked to look at my knee. As you might imagine, I had a couple of questions. Who was Dr Alburn? The latest and greatest thing in post industrial art? Probably not due to his working in a surgery clinic, but was he going to cut open my knee and try to put in a new hip!
It turns out that he was a knee surgeon who has approximately as much experience as the doctor who was recommended from the same clinic. But I still wanted to know why then I was not recommended him by my doctor (formerly a knee surgeon in Canberra and quite good) was this surgeon crap, for want of another word, is his experience meaningless because he is comparatively a blithering idiot compared to the surgeon that I was recommended? I thought on my way in I would risk a fine and talk to my doctor. Good plan, that was until I get this message, "you have reached... Our office is closed until... thank you for your call...". This made me even happier that I decided to risk the fine of talking on my mobile while driving to get the information. It meant that I was closer to the answer every second that I was on the road.
Having informed the surgery that I was going to be late due to checking my appointment, I wasn't worried about time, I was worried about other things.

2 comments:

StyleyGeek said...

Just make sure he is REALLY sure about which leg he is operating on! Oh, and not likely to sever major arteries.

a Shi said...

Think I might get some permanent marker and write "Not this leg" on my right knee, I think that will keep things pretty clear.