Wednesday 23 May 2007

星期一的课

This was a fun lesson. My agenda for the class was to build speed and power in punches. My plan had beginners working reverse punches and seniors working on lead punches.
I only had three people turn up.
The joy of teaching open classes is you don't know who is going to turn up, some days everyone takes a day off at the same time. Especially when there is a cold snap.
So when I have a small class I usually throw away the plan and do something fun. Different exercises, different class, generally more detailed and more complicated than usual to reward the people who did decide to show.
This lesson however was going to be the first lesson where I was able to take warm-ups properly in 6 months. Mostly due to my knee partly due to some other things that had been going on earlier in the year. So I kept to the plan. I did change the method slightly. You know the red tassles used by chinese do decorate around new year etc. You often see them on the hilts of chinese swords. I have a heap of those that I sell for decoration. I put one of those in the crease of my elbow and bing very careful not to lock my arm used it as a method of speeding up my punch. The faster I punched the further I would throw the tassle. It was fun. With a total of four people, we were able to have like a game of tennis using the tassles.
So the lesson covered, stance for getting into position to catch and launch the tassle, speed for the propellant, and timing for the catch. It was good.

No comments: