Monday 18 June 2007

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Friday night, no real plans... I have run out of white tea I'll stop at the Canberra center and cruse around and see what pick up at the tea shop (not the one I usually go to as it was out of bai cha also at last check).
Well I went to Dendy and checked out what movies were playing, did this and that finally decided to go by the tea shop...
While closely examining some yixing tea pots I heard a voice from behind me talking in Chinese... to me... That doesn't happen to me very much, who...
I turned around and saw who it was. It was another Chinese student, from third year (I am first) who I met when I was invited to a Chinese 5 class to make up for a public holiday. I had seen her around campus since then but haven't exchanged anything but polite nods or recognition etc. Seeing her here was quite a surprise, I went over and chatted to her for a while talked about the pots (over priced and inconsistent in quality) and China etc... It was a nice discussion. Then I left.
The encounter stuck in my mind... having recently parted ways with 小马 I am on the "lookout" for people of the opposite gender to spend time with. The very reason that my friend M and her girlfriend are the first that I contacted when the parting happened. I like female company, I don't get enough of it. The problem being that I don't have many female friends, I have male friends and I have done stuff with them it's not quite the same though. So this encounter stuck in my mind, I was planning to go out again that night, probably to a knightsbridge or somewhere similar see what was doing on the town dance a little come home and study. However I kept coming back to the tea shop and finally decided to go back and ask her out. It has been 9 years since I have asked someone out, it was a challenge. But I decided that it would be a challenge that would be good for me, the best part was that I didn't really care if she said no. I barley knew her from Eve, I had met her once and seen her around a couple of times. All that I knew was that she had in an interest in Chinese culture and Chinese tea. That would do for a start, GO!
So now that I was home I had a shower and washed work off me, dressed up a very little and headed out again. I found a park went down and did the deed.


She said no, sorry I am seeing someone... (I did see her at a cafe the other day with a couple of other people but nothing definite)


I said; Oh... Not to matter, could I have 100g of long jing please... (I had forgotten that I used the last of that also).


Well not at all heart broken I wend and saw a movie, "The Italian" looked alright. I didn't feel like going out clubbing straight after asking someone out, made the though of the act feel kinda' cheap, which I don't think it was. Movie was good, had a glass of wine before hand to celebrate the asking out of a lady, as a sign of a new era of my life beginning. I had been with 小马 for almost 9 years ended as well as it could, she left to free herself and also in her opinion me. I didn't want to split and still don't but I now understand enough to start to move on. This was a very good sign that I am getting back on track.

No comments: